Senior Software Engineer, Query Performance, Java/Scala (Remote)
XONAI addresses fundamental pain points that organizations encounter when scaling hardware cloud resources for their data and AI products in the face of business growth.
We are a team of passionate engineers committed to building the best-in-class solution to reduce data infrastructure operational costs and accelerate time to insights that drive key business decisions.
So far, we have raised a total of $3.5M in Seed funding. This gives us the flexibility to grow our team, provide world-class support to our customers, and expand our solution to new markets.
To learn more about us, visit our blog.
About the Role
This role working with the internals of distributed data processing systems at query plan level to optimise query performance. You will collaborate with the founding team to expand the integration of our data processing acceleration technology with Apache Spark and drive new optimizations and broader API coverage.
- Strong Java, C++ or Scala programming skills.
- A solid understanding of distributed systems (Apache Spark, Hadoop, Presto, Flink) or SQL database engines.
- Experience with JVM profiling and debugging tools.
- Strong grasp of computer science fundamentals such as algorithms and data structures.
- Ability to write, test and deploy production code driven by modern software engineering practices.
What you will be doing:
- Accelerate Apache Spark data processing performance by offloading query compilation to our domain-specific compiler.
- Design and implement new data processing optimizations at query plan level.
- Optimize internal processes that contribute to query time (I/O, serialization, data sources).
- Diligently test new optimizations and assess their impact on benchmarks.
- Work with the internals of leading open-source software for big data analytics as part of our core product for the cloud.
- Collaborate with team members to drive new innovations on big data processing lying at the intersection of big data and compiler technologies.
- Experience with query processing and optimization.
- Experience with container orchestration (Docker, Kubernetes, etc).
- Understanding of data storage formats and processing internals (Parquet, Delta, ORC, Avro, etc).
- Hands-on experience with public cloud platforms (AWS, Google Cloud Platform, Azure).
- Entrepreneurial spirit and previous experience in early stage start-ups.
- Exposure to Data Science and Machine Learning environments.
- Critical thinking and ability to work independently without direct supervision.
- Strong analytical and excellent problem solving skills.
- Dedicated Team. Work with an amazing team exploring compiler and big data technologies to build the next-generation solution for data infrastructure at scale.
- Flexible Location. Work where you feel most productive, either fully remote or at any coworking office space of your convenience.
- Competitive Compensation. We offer strong compensation upfront, aligned with a starting equity package, progressive compensation plan and employee referral program.
- Amazing Benefits. In order to attract and retain the best talent, we offer medical insurance, a dental, audio and visual cash plan, as well as a company pension. Enjoy flexible work hours, paid time off (vacation, sick & public holidays) and our unlimited vacation policy.