Product Development chemist for insulating aerogels, London UK
Thermulon is an impact driven team of entrepreneurs and scientists developing a high-performance, fire-safe insulation material, aerogels. Aerogels are the most insulating materials known to science and we believe they’ll be at the centre of the green transition which is taking place today with key uses in Electric Vehicles and Construction.
Founded in 2019, Thermulon is backed by influential venture capitalists including Deep Science Ventures, Sustainable Ventures, and Sky Ocean Ventures. We also have the support of angel investors and crowdfunding campaigns. Our dedication to technological advancement and sustainability has gained recognition from industry-leading organizations such as the Cleantech Group, Futurebuild, the Royal Society of Chemistry, and the Royal Academy of Engineering.
Based in labs in London, we are seeking an ambitious and talented individual to help develop new aerogel insulation products for Electric Vehicles and Construction. As Thermulon’s first full-time product development scientist, you will be working alongside Thermulon’s most senior chemist to incorporate Thermulon’s insulating aerogel powders into new end-user products (such as boards, panels, foams and blankets).
You will work closely with the core Thermulon lab team as a key technical person; and your responsibilities will be to help design new products from initial ideation, formulate these new products and then test the final result to iterate on performance.
We welcome applicants who may not meet all the requirements but are motivated and willing to learn. If you believe you possess the majority of the skills and qualities listed below, we encourage you to apply.
- Develop new methodologies for aerogel product formulations into various end-product formats (e.g. boards, panel, matt).
- Conduct research, experiments, and tests to improve product performance and quality.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to define and meet product development goals and timelines.
- Analyse and interpret experimental data, and generate reports and presentations.
- B.Sc. or higher degree in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Materials Science, or a related field.
- 4+ years experience in product development or formulation of materials; or a research at PhD level or above in a relevant field.
- Knowledge of product formulation in relation to binders or insulation materials (e.g. polymer chemistry, glues, PURs, polystyrenes and/or inorganic binders such as silicates, limes, cements, clays).
- Proficiency in laboratory techniques, data analysis, and report writing.
- (Nice to have) Knowledge of insulation materials, polymer chemistry, and characterization techniques.
- (Nice to have) Knowledge of aerogel materials.
This is a broad role and so we expect people with a broad subset of technical expertise to apply. If you feel you have a relevant set of expertise to do this role but don’t hit all of the points above – we also encourage to apply.
- Excited to join a fast-moving start-up team
- Looking to grow with the company through rapid expansion
- Quick to learn, pick up and critically evaluate information
- Ability to keep accurate and diligent records
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work independently, prioritise own tasks and bring fresh ideas
- Commitment to lab health & safety
Diversity and Inclusion statement
We are especially keen to encourage applications and interest from individuals underrepresented in the deep tech and climate space. Climate change and climate justice is both a social and inclusion issue. We especially welcome applicants with experience across all equality and inclusion challenges and are keen for applicants who may have different experiences to those exactly specified in the application.
Thermulon strives to develop the next generation of scientists and entrepreneurs by giving them the opportunity to learn cutting-edge laboratory techniques in a highly collaborative and dynamic environment.
We know that living our values helps us achieve our mission and makes Thermulon a great place to work. When we see values we celebrate them and we are not afraid to call it out when we need to see change.
- Impact – we know if we achieve our vision we will make the world a better place, this impact excites and drives us every day.
- Collaboration – we love what we do, we are all experts and we rely on each other for skills and experience. We pull together as a team, we are self aware and don’t always need to ask for help because we can see when those around us need some support and we lean in to that. We care about spending time with our friends and family and work in a time efficient manner accordingly.
- Growth - we are scientists and we are innovating so we are always learning. We are inquisitive. We actively seek opportunities to learn from each other, teach each other and lean into learning outside of Thermulon. We value self-awareness and the desire to learn from each other as we all grow in our careers.
- Fast pace – we can have a huge impact when we collaborate and grow together, bringing this all together means we move at a pace. We are decisive and urgent.
Job type: full time, London based, permanent contract
Salary: £35-50 k, depending on experience
Flexibility (more individual flexibility will be possible on a 121 basis)
- Flexible working hours
- You decide when to use bank holidays, you don’t have to take them when they are (typically 8 of them)
- 30 days holiday for everyone
- Private Medical insurance – Vitality for you and your dependents (Medical, Dental, Mental Health, Wellbeing, Alternative treatments and Travel Insurance)
- Health/wellbeing allowance £600 per year to spend on activities which lead to better physical / mental health (it may be the gym, it may be a spa day, it may be a membership to headspace or some sessions with a therapist, you know you best)
- Ride to work scheme – new bike and equipment with the government contributing tax to help pay for it B2W
Life Events (choose one of the below each calendar year) (for those who have passed probation)
- Enhanced Ethically invested pension – increase the company contribution by 1%, or
- Enhanced Mat and Pat leave – up to 12 months enhanced (Mat: 6months 100% and 6 months 50% Pat: 2 months 100%, 1 month 50%), Policy available for those with a minimum of 2 years service, or
- Life event support £1000 – whether it’s a wedding, buying a house, something big and important to you we will help