Project Manager (Carbon Removal)
Job Title: Project Manager III
Location: Hybrid, centred around London with our flexible trust-based work policy
Salary: 62k-74k pa
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
You have the opportunity to join MZT at a pivotal point in our company's history - our transition from an early-stage R&D startup into a product offering, revenue-generating company poised to rapidly scale our DAC technology across the world.
Our vision for our early stage employees is that they own the business with us (literally), grow it with us and become part of the collective story of Mission Zero, taking a catalytic role in its early history and the fight against climate change.
MZT is hiring a Project Manager with a can-do attitude and who thrives in providing clarity from ambiguous briefs. The role is a hybrid based role with regular interfaces in the office and at site with flexibility to work remotely at reasonable frequencies.
What you’ll be responsible for:
- Overseeing a complex project from pre-FEED to delivery, ensuring the projects are delivered on time, within budget and to the desired quality. You will be considered the CEO of your project as well as having full support from the Leadership Team.
- Delivering against an agreed project scope, removing ambiguity where it exists.
- Lead the cross-functional squad to deliver key strategic projects from conceptualisation through to construction, with the view to scale our products across the world from pilot plant scale to full commercial deployment.
- Identifying, mitigating project risks, assigning responsibilities in your project squad and if necessary, escalating for support to remove blockers, request budget or make cross functional decisions.
- Ownership of the Bill of Materials and budgetary activity of the MZTproduct choice deployed and wider project interdependencies.
- Developing project plans, timelines and resource allocation strategies, adapting as necessary to meet evolving project demands with a holistic view of other projects within the business, to know where resource pinch points may be.
- Keeping a team focussed through challenges in a fast-evolving industry, bringing order and direction to complex situations.
- Effective stakeholder communication, aligning with squad members, founders, cross-functional leads, finance and customers, having difficult conversations which are “action” biased.
- Influencing a matrix organisation that does not directly report into you.
- Overseeing the fabrication for equipment and packages as ordered, working across the delivery team to ensure feasible deployment on time to project sites.
- Assessing, in collaboration with partners, customers and product development teams, possible routes for manufacturing scale-up considering geographical / cultural / carbon intensity / quality impacts.
The role will demand a smooth inheritance of our existing projects, and will require careful attention to involve Commercial, Brand, Research & Development, Engineering, Procurement, Site Operations, Certification/Legislation, Customers, Government Entities and our Consortium Partners.
The Ideal Candidate will possess:
- >5 years experience in project management, ideally in hardware or manufacturing industries (such as chemicals, heavy industry, automotive or technology with a hardware component).
- Degree in suitable discipline.
- Proven ability to take products from concept to delivery, within a start up environment or a high-growth environment.
- Experience in technology transfer from research & development into pilot and commercial scale-up.
- A passion for delivering tangible outputs, a people person, a stickler for detail whilst keeping an eye on the high-level mission.
- Be willing to work with a level of autonomy, whilst involving cross functional stakeholders and knowing when to update upwards.
- Ability to interface with key science and engineering disciplines, even without a technical background. An ability to distil and clearly communicate this to potential downstream stakeholders with strong leadership.
- A thorough understanding of project management practices and tools - including adaptability between Google Workspace and Microsoft suites, budget planning and management.
- Passion for and experience in the energy and climate sector with a global perspective: understanding that Net Zero is a global challenge and issue.
- Engineering, Science or Financial undergraduate / postgraduate qualifications.
- Useful understanding: NetSuite / other ERP system, Change management system (of any kind).
- Good understanding of hazard and risk identification especially relating to e.g. HAZOP, HAZID.
- Experience project managing the commissioning, running and supporting pilots or commercial plants.
- Basic industrial chemistry knowledge or strong heavy industry knowledge.
- Project Management Qualification through an appropriate body, e.g. APM.
- Employee Share Option Scheme
- Above industry standard holiday (30 days vs 22-25)
- Close office over Xmas where possible
- £500 personal development grant every year
- Unlimited mental health support
- 3 months of equal Paternity or Maternity leave
- Monthly rewilding donation on your behalf
- Cycle to Work scheme
About Mission Zero Technologies:
MZT is a hardware technology start-up pioneering a breakthrough Direct Air carbon Capture (DAC) technology that can scrub CO2 from the air using a fraction of the energy compared to incumbent technologies developed by the likes of Carbon Engineering and Climeworks. In the past three years, MZT has evolved its technology from concept to pilot plant scale, successfully raising over £8m from a mixture of private and government funding. MZT’s technology is a hybrid of approaches, combining efficient solution-phase capture of CO2 with a continuous and compact electrochemical separation technology.
Mission Zero and its work is guided by its principles of bold curiosity, problem solving acumen and hope for the future. We strive to realise a world where humanity has new tools to fight climate change, remove CO2 permanently from the atmosphere and produce everyday products such as concrete blocks or fuels from atmospheric carbon emissions. To do this we need to realise a decentralised Gt supply chain for CO2 sourced directly from the atmosphere.
At MZT, we value diversity of cultural backgrounds, experience and perspectives and leverage these qualities to create exceptional outcomes. We are dedicated to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, sex, religion or belief, ethnic or national origin, age, disability, citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy or related condition or any other basis as protected by applicable law. Please do not hesitate to let us know if you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation.